Miss Blake Lauren - Birth Story


We welcomed the newest Linden on August 13th at 8:35am. She arrived almost a week early, just like her sister Poppy. We are adjusting to life again with a newborn... I daresay it's going surprisingly well. The kids adore her, she sleeps relatively well, and my recovery has been great.

Blake's birth story is unique. I started having contractions on saturday night around 10:30pm, when Tyler was out at a high school reunion. I called him to let him know that I 'might' be going into labour... you never really know... and that I might need him to come home. I said I would call if the contractions got worse, and then continued to pace around our house, waiting to see if this would be the real thing or not.

Sure enough, a couple hours later the contractions had not stopped or let up, and they were consistently coming 1.5 - 2 minutes apart, and lasting for 30-45 seconds. The contraction app I downloaded told me to go to the hospital, so I called Tyler to tell him it was really happening. Due to the high school reunion antics, he was in no condition to drive, so his best friend's wife picked them both up, and then came to get me. My parents came over to watch the kids, and we headed to the hospital. Upon arrival Tyler and his friend came into the hospital, buying chips from the vending machine and being rather loud. The triage nurse asked me how many people I had with me, and it was time to say farewell to our friends:)

The triage nurse asked me who my doctor was, and I explained that I had a midwife but was unable to get ahold of her. I'd called the on-call phone several times with no answer. This threw the hospital staff for bit of a loop... they didn't quite know what to do with me as my midwife was supposed to be there as my primary caregiver. Labour and Delivery was full, and they had no extra nurses to assign one to me. I was checked and found to be 5 centimetres, so it was clear we were staying.

The nurses and I kept trying to call my midwife as I laboured in triage. I was able to walk around which was nice, and the contractions continued in frequency and intensity. Finally, around 5:30am we got ahold of my midwife, who had been having phone issues. With her on her way, I was checked again and found to be 8 centimetres. At this point I began to get a little nervous about getting an epidural. I had no plans for a drug-free birth, and worried I may be running out of time.

My midwife arrived and we settled into our room - which was huge and bright and sooo different from the hospital I delivered Poppy and Soren at. Immediately I asked for an epidural and was told there likely would not be time. This part was the hardest... labouring without drugs is NOT FUN. At one point I begged someone to cut the baby out of me... but then it was time to start pushing, and we were on our way to meeting her. I pushed for at least half an hour, maybe more. It was hard, again, no drugs made everything very intense. And then, at 8:35am, she arrived! She cried and started nursing and I was actually able to cut her cord, which was kind of neat. I had a few stitches, looked at the placenta, and that was it.

An hour or so later we weighed and measured her - 8lbs 5oz and 21 inches long. My midwife made me tea and toast, and within a couple hours I went to the bathroom, where I discovered a shower that was soooo amazing! I was told that I could leave the hospital whenever I wanted, but due to the beautiful room I decided to stay for a night. It was nice to bond with the baby without worrying about any one else, and then we 'checked out' the next morning. Blake Lauren is sweet and very loved... she's adjusting to our family beautifully.


Jenelle Matheson said...

Aww what a sweet little girl! No drugs sounds AWFUL, I could not have had Jake without the epidural lol. What hospital did you have her at?

Emily @ The Southern Belle Blogs said...

Congratulations! What a sweet face!

ChrissAlbama said...

The stuff in this blog is in not only incredible but also providing the great knowledge to the people.Mark Curry Macfarlane Group